Monday, January 6, 2014

First week of the New Year 1/6-1/10

Good evening parents and guardians,

I hope you all had a great time with your families and loved ones these past two week celebrating the holidays.  My kiddos had so many things to tell me and I was ready to listen (I was looking forward to it during the break). I was a little nervous about going back to school after a two week break, but overall my students did great. We will still be reviewing class rules and procedures on a daily basis, especially this first week back.

Here is a glimpse into what we will be going over in class this week:

Language Arts: As I mentioned last month, we will be reviewing this week in the unit for a second time. The first time it was covered we really didn't get a chance to go over all the material. This will be the first time the students listen to the story, but not the first time the students go over the letters Dd and Kk.

  • Unit 3-week 3
  • Story: George Washington Visits
  • Content Knowledge: How People Lived Long Ago
  • Phonemic Awareness: Initial /d/
  • Phonemic Awareness: Initial /k/
  • Phonics: /d/ Spelled Dd
  • Phonics: /k/ Spelled Kk
  • Comprehension Skill: Cause and Effect (this skill will be tested on Friday)
  • 3week exam: Students will also be taking the 3 week exam. This will cover the skills of reading CVC words and sight words for the past 3 weeks.
Math: 
  • Finish up Unit 7 on length and size
  • Student will continue to explore measuring different items, but this week we will mainly be focusing on comparing sizes.
    • Which is the tallest/shortest?
    • Which is the smallest/biggest?
  • The students will be taking the UNIT 7 test on Thursday.
Science:
  • Unit B- Life Science- Plants and Animals (News letter with more information will be going home tomorrow).
  • Objective: Students will know that plants and animals grow and change during their lives. Students will see how people grow and change too.
  • Lima Beans
    • Today was the first day we began observing how seeds change into plants. We observed Lima Beans and put them in water for 24 hrs. Tomorrow we will be taking them out and placing them into zip lock bags to watch them germinate. The students are super excited to do this little experiment.
  • Butterflies
    • I haven't told the students yet….BUT we will also be observing the changes in butterflies. I am hopping I get the eggs tomorrow so we can begin to take care of them and watch them blossom into beautiful butterflies. 
Technology:
  • A few student began to bring their iPad or tablets to class. As a REMINDER, before your child can bring their technology into the class, you must first sign the technology user agreement. You can get more information about this from the office. 
  • Any technology your child brings will stay in my class. Dr. Rentie has provided us with some bins to store them in. I will also be locking my classroom every time I step out.  To get things started, students are allowed to use the device they bring (May-do) after they are done with their required work (Must-do).
  • REQUEST: It is highly recommended students bring headphones to use with their device and do not share with anyone else in class.
  • Here are some iPad apps I found to be educational, fun and free (some of these might be available for Android devices).
    • ABC magic
    • Phonics Genius
    • Pre-School and Kindergarten learning games
    • Grade K math
    • Ice Land!
    • Letter Quiz
    • Spelling Bug
    • Sight Words
    • Cimo Spelling-Sight (light)
    • Concentration
    • Bubble pop- Math 1-2
One last things…THANK YOU all for the wonderful Christmas presents, especially to those parent that contributed towards the whole class gift (target card). Also, a big THANK YOU to those parents that stopped by the last day of school before winter break to help out at our party. I hope your kids had a great time!

As always, if there is anything I may be able to do for you please let me know. Feel free to send me an email me or catch me at school. I will try my best to come up with a list of Android apps soon.

Thank you for all that you do with your kiddos and for me, 
Miss. Maciel

No comments:

Post a Comment